Security Tips To Protect Your Site

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping a WordPress site up to date is vital, this ensures that all your active plugins are also kept up to date. Some fear that updating WordPress or plugins will break things, but a hacked site is the most common outcome from outdated versions. Having validated backups is vital for ensuring your website can recover from any issue. Test your backups, ensure that you not only know how to restore your site, but that the backups were successful. Store them off-site in a cloud storage account.

Use WordPress security plugins and services that keep hackers out. Having a password that is long, complex, and not easily guessable is the best security practice of all. Change your passwords every three to six months to limit the possibility of someone hacking or using old passwords you used to use. Another common way a site can be attacked is from allowing rogue users to have unnecessary access. Periodically go through and clean out your WordPress users. Many times there are old users that will still have unlimited access.
Keeping a WordPress site up to date is vital, this ensures that all your active plugins are also kept up to date. Some fear that updating WordPress or plugins will break things, but a hacked site is the most common outcome from outdated versions. Having validated backups is vital for ensuring your website can recover from any issue. Test your backups, ensure that you not only know how to restore your site, but that the backups were successful. Store them off-site in a cloud storage account.

Use WordPress security plugins and services that keep hackers out. Having a password that is long, complex, and not easily guessable is the best security practice of all. Change your passwords every three to six months to limit the possibility of someone hacking or using old passwords you used to use. Another common way a site can be attacked is from allowing rogue users to have unnecessary access. Periodically go through and clean out your WordPress users. Many times there are old users that will still have unlimited access.
I have had a number of site repairs where old users still had access to the site. Where I come from the risc of abuse is very small. It is a small country and we almost know all others in this business, so abusing someones website that way would have huge effect on how the rest of this segment sees you.

But it is always bette to be safe than sorry, so yeah... delete those useers who havent got anyting to do at your site.
I have had a number of site repairs where old users still had access to the site. Where I come from the risc of abuse is very small. It is a small country and we almost know all others in this business, so abusing someones website that way would have huge effect on how the rest of this segment sees you.

But it is always bette to be safe than sorry, so yeah... delete those useers who havent got anyting to do at your site.
I agree! You have to keep your site up to date. I personally don't like updates, but these kind of stuff need to be updated all the time (for example, when I used Bootstrap, I had to always download the new version because of the possible changes).
Especially security plug ins. I mean, new viruses can be released daily. Why not prevent yourself from possible losses.
And thanks for the users info, I will keep it on my mind!
I agree! You have to keep your site up to date. I personally don't like updates, but these kind of stuff need to be updated all the time (for example, when I used Bootstrap, I had to always download the new version because of the possible changes).
Especially security plug ins. I mean, new viruses can be released daily. Why not prevent yourself from possible losses.
And thanks for the users info, I will keep it on my mind!
If I use as minimum plugins as possible do you think that would help my security?
If I use as minimum plugins as possible do you think that would help my security?
Absolutely no! Of course less code is also less bugs, but bugs and weaknesses are a real part of programming so you need plugins to handle unhandled situations.

(06-09-2016, 03:41 PM)Darran22 Wrote: If I use as minimum plugins as possible do you think that would help my security?
Absolutely no! Of course less code is also less bugs, but bugs and weaknesses are a real part of programming so you need plugins to handle unhandled situations.

(06-09-2016, 03:41 PM)Darran22 Wrote: If I use as minimum plugins as possible do you think that would help my security?